So you started a blog. Maybe it was to share recipes or stories with friends and family. Maybe it was for a topic you are passionate about.
No matter the reason, you started a blog to share your thoughts with the world.
Now that you are in the blogging world, you hear about how people are making a full time living with their blogs.
Here are a few examples:
I linked their last income reports to let you look at their income and what they are doing to earn it. Some of those numbers are crazy, right?
These bloggers did not start making the big bucks overnight. It took a lot of hard work and learning about what works for them and their audience.
In this post I discuss my belief about passive income—> Don’t Be Fooled: Passive Income Is A Lie.
There are 6 Main Ways to Make Income From Your Blog
- Ads- Allowing advertising on your site (from Google Adsense or other sites) is the easiest way to make money from your blog. In the beginning, it will be minimal because you probably won’t have much traffic. But as your traffic grows, you can start using other ad networks such as MediaVine and AdThrive to earn more money for ads. This is the most passive way to make money while blogging.
- Sponsored Content- Sponsored content is when you write a blog post for someone else’s product or service, and they pay you a flat fee. You need to disclose that the post is sponsored and the business owner may have a say in what you post and where you share it to. You usually need a fairly steady amount of traffic to gain a good sponsorship, but you can start with sites like BlogHer to get started.
- Services- Bloggers often start with selling services when they begin blogging because it can help you earn an income while you are building your blog. What do I mean by services? Hiring out to be a virtual assistant, web designer, graphic designer, social media strategist and freelance writer are examples of services that might pay the bills until you can start earning money other ways. This income is limited to your time and availability, but it can also give you insight into your customers wants and needs.
- Affiliate Marketing- Affiliate marketing is where you sell someone else’s product and get a commission off that sale. Like sponsored content, you need to disclose that you are making a commission on the product you are advertising. This can be a great way to earn money and learn the marketing process if you don’t yet have your own product to sell. I discuss affiliate marketing in this post—> Make Affiliate Marketing Part of Your Blog Income Strategy Today!
- Sell Your Own Products- The most productive and long term way to make money with your blog is by making and selling your own products. You can sell either physical or digital products (or both) online. Digital products have very little overhead (such as online courses, printables or ebooks) and therefore are popular with many bloggers. It takes time and creativity to make and sell your own products, but the payoff can be huge!
- Events– Some bloggers host events to make money. These can be anything from large conferences to small retreats. Getting people to show up in person can be a new way to make money blogging.
The best way to make money blogging is to do several of these methods on your blog at the same time. The more revenue streams you can earn, the more stable and healthy your income will be.
On my homesteading blog, I make money through ads, affiliate marketing and my own products. On this blog, I earn money with ads and affiliate marketing. I will be starting with products and services towards the end of the year.
You don’t want to lean on just one thing for an income stream. What happens if you lean only on ads and then your traffic falls? What if you only have your personal services and then you get sick for an extended amount of time? By having multiple income streams, if one is eliminated it doesn’t devastate your bottom line.Are wondering how bloggers make money? Click here to see the 5 ways to monetize your blog and examples of how other bloggers are doing it. #bloggingClick To Tweet
- Research how others in your niche are making money.
- Use the list above to evaluate what you might do to make money on your blog.
- Start trying something. You won’t know what works with your audience until you try.
Blogging is a great way to make an income while working at home. As you can see from the bloggers linked above, it is totally doable. But it isn’t a get rich quick scheme and it will take some time. Choose a new revenue stream to start with and get going. Then once you have mastered that one, add another one. Blog monetization is all about trying things out, seeing what works and starting over if necessary. Eventually you will figure out what your audience wants and then- jackpot!
How do you make money blogging? What new ways do you want to try this year? Let us know in the comments below. Thanks!
Get 5 Free Stock Photos Monthly
Sign up now and get free stock photos you can use on your blog or social media. You will also get weekly newsletters and month income reports in your inbox.