There are so many things new bloggers need to do: website development, post writing, photography, social media. . .
Email just sounds like one more confusing thing you don’t have time for.
Today, I want to talk about why having an email list is important, how to get one and what you do with it once you have one.
Why should I have an email list?
- An email list helps you keep in touch with your readers, even if social media breaks down.
- Readers are more likely to open an email than see your post on social media (especially with algorithm changes)
- You can sell products and services to your email list.
- Your email list is full of people that like and trust you, which makes it a major asset for your business.
How do I get an email list?
In order to get people on your email list, you need to offer them something for free. Here are a few ideas to get you started thinking:
- free challenge
- free PDF or Printable
- free ebook
- discount coupon to your store
- for an awesome list of email opt-in ideas, check out this post: 23 Email Opt-In Ideas to Grow Your List Fast
What do I need to get started?
As far as technology goes, you need an Email Service Provider to get the technology part of your email list running.
I recommend ConvertKit. It is not free, but it is affordable for most people ($29 a month). You can find free services to do this, but they don’t have as many automations as ConvertKit has, so you will probably need to switch in the future.
With ConvertKit, you can have control over your list, your opt ins (the freebies you give away) and you can send new emails to your list whenever you want.
Are there laws regarding an email list?
Yes. Here are a few things you need to be aware of when having an email list for your blog:
- You can’t just send out emails from your regular email (gmail or yahoo or whatever). You have to get people’s permission for them to be added to your email list. This is done through an Email Service Provider.
- You have to have a physical address on all of your emails. Some people use a PO Box so that people don’t have their home address.
- You have to have a way for people to unsubscribe to the list visible on each email you send.
- You can not use Amazon affiliate links in your emails.
What do I do once I have a list?
Once you have people on your list, you have to stay in contact with them so they remember what you and your blog is about.
You can start with a welcome series that gets sent right after they subscribe. In this series (3 to 5 emails) you can introduce your blog, direct them to your social media channels and give them solid advice that will keep them coming back for more!
Then, you should send them weekly newsletters, which can include what is going on with you and your posts for that week.
You can also send promotional (sales) emails to your list, as long as you don’t do it too often. This is a judgement call on your part.
Most of all, try to be helpful to the people that are on your list. You can give them exclusive freebies, extra tips and tricks on your topic, or anything else that will help you stand out from your competitors.
I have some awesome resources at the bottom of this post that will help you rock your email list and therefore your income as well.
Your email list will be full of warm traffic, which means they are more likely to buy from you when you recommend something. A strong email list can skyrocket your income because of that trust, so don’t take it lightly.
- Sign up for an Email Service Provider (I prefer ConvertKit).
- Produce a quick freebie that you can offer your readers in exchange for their email address.
- Stay in touch with your list by sending a welcome series and weekly newsletters.
Email is very important to your blog and business. I would venture to say that working on increasing your email list should be one of your top priorities for your blog. It helps you create a bond with your readers and allows you to increase revenue when used correctly. Check out these resources below to get your email list healthy and happy today.See how growing a strong email list is vital to your blogging income and success. #emailmarketingClick To Tweet
Date Your List by Rosemarie Groner
How to Build a Lucrative Email List That Fuels Your Business (Podcast Episode) by Amy Porterfield
Do you have tricks to share about growing your email list? Let us know in the comments below. Thanks!
Get 5 Free Stock Photos Monthly
Sign up now and get free stock photos you can use on your blog or social media. You will also get weekly newsletters and month income reports in your inbox.